Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Top 10* Music Mashups

Some songs seem like they were made for each other, like chocolate and peanut butter, or jerks and the internet. After some poking around, here's a list of my favorite music mashups. Thanks to Strongbaddude for the idea and for providing a few of my selections. Be sure to stick around for number one, 'cause it rocks my socks.

10) When I'm 25 or 64 (The Beatles - When I'm 64 / Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4)
*EDIT: I forgot about this one, but I have to give props for how catchy this abomination is. Plus Jonathan Coulton is awesome.


9) Phoenixmen (Masakazu Sugimori - Investigation ~ Cornered from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney / music from Cheetahmen II)
This spiffy little medley almost justifies the Cheetahmen series' existance.


8) Thriller Situation - (Micheal Jackson - Thriller / Yazoo - Situation)
Mmmm, 80s goodness.


7) Numb/Encore (Linkin Park - Numb / Jay-Z - Encore)
Many of you may have already heard this one seeing as it was on the Billboard Hot 100, but I've always liked it. I don't generally listen to rap music, but Jay-Z does a nice job of cutting down Linkin Park's whine factor.


6) Whole Lotta Sabbath (Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love / Black Sabbath - War Pigs)
This does not sound like a mashup. Would be higher on the list if the artists' styles weren't already similar.


5) Enter You (Metallica - Enter Sandman / Bryan Adams - Run To You)
These artists, on the other hand, are not similar.

4) Mind Gone Mad (The Pixies / Beastie Boys)
I'm not exactly the biggest Beastie Boys fan, and Where is my Mind by The Pixies is a masterwork, but I'm surprised how much I dig this.


3) Somebody Told Me to Feel Good (Gorillaz - Feel Good / The Killers - Somebody Told Me)
This one's definitely grown on me. Now both songs just sound odd to me by themselves.


2) Thunder Busters (ACDC - Thunderstruck / Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters theme)
And never the twain shall part.


1) Stayin' Alive in the Wall (Pink Floyd - The Wall / Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive)
Hands down the most astounding mashup I've ever heard.

1 comment:

  1. Gonna have to watch these later, but I will contribute my own personal favourite now:

    "Crushingly Close"

    (Garbage's "#1 Crush" + Nine Inch Nails' "Closer")

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Q0fmfnuY4

    -Paul

    ReplyDelete